Monday, November 15, 2010

But for a small moment

Hello everyone,
The next email that I write will be from the square. Many of you know that I was sent home early in October, right after conference. I was trying to keep it a secret so I could stay in my mission "bubble." Mission Medical didn't cover the problem that I had, so President Holmes saw no other way to treat me, other than to send me home. From the beginning my leg started going numb while standing all day on the square. Soon after dragging around my left leg, I began to have shooting pains up my leg. At that point I decided to just casually mention it to my president, although he didn't think it was a casual problem. I was sent home pretty soon thereafter. I went to my sister, Kira's house. While I was depressed to be home, I did my very best to study, get better, and do missionary work. I studied with my sister and did more roll plays than I wanted to. I watched conference talks and read, Our Heritage and The Book of Mormon. One of my favorite parts was going to the temple daily. Going to the temple helped me KNOW that this was all going to work out. Also seeing little baby Owen put a smile on my face:) I went to Dr. Smith at Elite Chiropractic care, where I was put on the DRX machine DAILY. I wanted to punch someone in the knee cap, it hurt so bad. The decompression machine pulled my spine apart, to allow my L4 and L5 discs from pinching my nerves (hence the numbness and shooting pains in my leg.) Later a VERY kind lady in Kira's ward named Anne White, gave me massages daily with her essential oils to help alleviate some of the pain. I call her "Mad dame butterfly." I was treated so well and was so excited when my treatments were coming to a close and my president said I could go back and THEN THE MIRACLE HAPPENED.

There is a great scripture in The Book of Mormon, Ether 12:6: ... "I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen.; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith. " This scripture is comforting and even more comforting if you actually have those trials of your faith. STORY: On fast Sunday I got up to share my testimony in Kira's ward. There had been a baby blessing and there were tons of people. It was great to share what I knew to be true with such a large group of people. I had already had an extra week added on to my treatment so I was VERY READY for it to be my last Sunday as "Jenna." After the meeting, a man by the name of Dr. Campbell came up to me and said, " I need to talk to you." I was a little nervous but he told me that he was from the Missionary Medical department and that he was at church that day because his son blessed his baby. He proceeded to tell me that I was just the person that he needed to talk to! He said that he is collecting names of Doctors to present to the brethren, a, proposal to get chiropractic care accepted in the mission field. He talked to my doctor and told me that towards the end of my mission, chiropractic care would be approved!!!!! WOW! I felt so blessed to be part of the Lords process in helping other future missionaries not have to be sent home like I was. It was truly a miracle and I know that God loves and REALLY KNOWS our hearts and hears our prayers. I will be going to Dr. Smith just a few more times which is also a blessing. I get to go back on Saturday and I have a companion from Korea and Germany. I have been dreaming and thinking about this return everyday since I left. I love my mission and everyone that is supporting me. This Church is SOOOOO true and I can't wait to be back!
-Sister Mettra

1 comment:

  1. WHOA! that's awesome Jenna!!!! Love you and your strong testimony. I love reading your motivating and encouraging words & stories. Hope you are completely healed and serve the best you possibly can when you get back there! love your guts!!

    ReplyDelete