Tuesday, July 5, 2011

One year later

Dearest Friends......

I'm writing with a smile of the many things i saw this week, good, great, and horrible. All make for yet another amazing week of my mission. As i look back on the past 12 months of my life so much has change not only around me but I've become different. I can actually say without a shadow of a doubt I know I'm right where God needs me and I've never felt happier in my life. On July 7, 2010 I stepped into the MTC leaving behind my life. Tears filled my eyes as I waved goodbye to my mom and sister I didn't know what would lie ahead for the next 18 months. I took a deep breath and put a smile on my face this is what I had been waiting for a very long time. As many know I didn't leave a happy little house with peace and comfort, in fact we had to move 2 days before I left to the MTC, packing up 12 years of my life and then getting ready for a 18 month journey wasn't easy that's for sure. But I promised the Lord the night I received my answer that I would make it into those doors no matter what was thrown my way. The MTC was an amazing experience one I wish I could have over and over again I loved learning and knowing that I would be able to help lost souls. Then I remember coming for our explore day on the Square before we actually reported and I was so grateful to have my best friend, Sister Lamprecht there to greet me and tell me it was all going to be ok. Then another angel Sister Lautaha was my companion for a couple of hours and that's when I knew miracles really did happen here. Then came time for me to actually report to the field Temple Square. I remember that long bus ride staring out of the window watching the sunrise wondering what the day would bring. How when I stepped off this bus my life would change forever. I wasn't afraid more excited for things to come and to be in the field. As we sat in the theatre waiting to hear who our trainer would be I prayed with all my heart I would have a good one, someone that understood me and could teach me things. I needed someone that would push me and that I could have fun with all at the same time. Then President said, Sister Mettra your trainer will be Sister Rathgeber, I was confused at first ha cause we knew eachother but knew that Gods hand was truly in this choice.
I would like to take a second and thank my loving trainer for all she did for me. Sister Julie Rathgeber taught me everything I needed to know and then some, I thank my father in heaven everyday for sending me her. She was the most amazing companion and loved me so much and helped me find me she never wanted me to be anyone else then Sister Mettra. I will be eternally grateful for the lessons she so humbly taught me, I saw more miracles with her then I ever thought possible. She is amazing and I will miss her so much as she leaves, but just so she knows she changed my life. Thank you Sister Rathgeber ( Rathy :) i love you.)
With one Year passing I have so much to say and wish I could sit here all day and verbally thank my Father in Heaven for everything he has given me here in my life but especially as a missionary. I've seen the miracle of the mission unfold and wouldn't trade it for anything in the World. Hearts literally change before my eyes and me change immensely. I have purpose and know that the most important things in life center around the gospel of Jesus Christ nothing else. Even though a mission isn't easy and sometimes you wonder why things happen, i know with all my heart nothing goes unnoticed by our father in Heaven. Even when i was sent away on my medical realise, My father in heaven was in it and knew that moment needed to happen. Not only to humble me but to help me gain a greater empathy for those around me and feel the spirit more abundantly. Most days I'm still in pain my back hurts but the Lord has made it bearable I can do hard things. Ha sometimes i just need to roll around on the floor and sing a made up song then i feel better. I call it the steam roller ha somehow it makes me feel better and I start laughing about the pain and it goes away. Laugh through the hard times and the miracles will come I can promise you that.

Yeah I'm Yana and I'm a Mormon ( investigator)

Hahaha I'm laughing even starting to type this one if only you all were standing there watching this moment unfold this lady was so funny and deff was a Sister Mettra contact for sure. All the other sisters were starting at me like what the heck is Sister Mettra doing she is crazy. Well this lady was yelling at me not in a mean way lets just say she has a very loud voice and isn't aware of people's personal space. She came up to the window and was like listen hunny I've been saved I'm an ordained minister, we are all ordained my goodness baby we are prophets. Haha I said now Yana what do you know what The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She said, " Now baby I don't even know if you believe in Jesus cause I know I do remember I'm saved i said I believe in you Jesus thats all I have to do." Ha not quite Yana see we believe that we have to not only accept him but continue to serve him and repent. I tried to teach her about The Book of Mormon but before i could say a word about it she says ha... no put down that book girl its blasphemous don't you know hunny I only need that bible. ( Keep in mind she might sound black to you but she is white living in Michigan and fricken hilarious) I said Yana now if I'm ordained like you said would I know a little about the truth ha. She became quiet and listened to what I had to say about it all. Then she grabs my name tag and says baby I want one of them taggs but I want it to say Sister Yana Mormon!. Can you get me one please! I said well I'll see what I can do go explore temple square and come back at the end. Well she actually had bumped into Sister DeBoer which is really funny and she took her around on a little tour. At the end she comes back and yells from the other side of the square Sister Mettra baby I found more of you mormon girls hahah. i was laughing and everyone was looking at me whateves I attract these people and love them. Well I came out of West Gate to talk to her and see how she liked it all and she went on to say how she didn't know anything about mormons before and she was so happy that she came with her daughter here. She wondered if mormons were allowed to sing and i said uh Yana I'm an opera singer babe. Ha she goes hunny you better bust one out for me right now! And so i felt an overwhelming feeling to sing amazing grace, I took a deep breath and prayed that she would actually feel the spirit. As I sang I looked into her eyes and she started to cry, people stopped and listened and as i sang the last words she put her head down and wipped her tears. Her daughter said Sister Mettra my momma never cries like that. Yana said, you just touched my heart, you touched my soul. And embraced me with a big hug telling me how much she loved me. Then took a step back and said, you are somethin special i hope you know that, and your Mom is very lucky to have you as a daughter. Today you made another Mom, I've never felt like that. Then she smiled and said I'm going to need to read that book and ask God aren't I? And i said yes Yana and i promise you from the bottom of my heart, God will give you the truth. She smiled and said I know hunny I know. Then she told me she wanted to say a prayer ha and I let her do it. Yana then said i thank God I walked in the gates and met you today, I love you girl really i do. This event could go on forever ha and I would be laughing still. We will be teaching her next week !

Until we meet again may God be with you. We are so blessed to have this gospel with us on this earth. Ps transfers are monday so we shall see where I'm taken next!!

Keep Smiling World! Love you all so much

Sister Mettra

No comments:

Post a Comment