Thursday, June 30, 2011

Divine intervention

Dear Everyone......

Last night I experienced such a powerful moment that honestly I don't know if words will truly describe. This week has been full of very spiritual surprises that have made me step back in awe of the Love of God. I speak about love very often in my letters not to be repetitive but to hopefully convey how important it is to a soul. So many I spoke with this week had never thought to try God before and believed the answers to life were found in the world, when its really entirely the opposite. Its hard to comprehend the thought of depending on the world for happiness at this point in my life. When truly the things of this world offer a quick fix to lives questions and the gospel is everlasting, and pure happiness.

" I listened to every word"
Remember Alicia well the girl that called in and wanted nothing to do with the church, then ended up asking to learn more? Well we taught her this week how to pray and it was so simple yet I could feel how important this moment was because she had never really prayed before. As we taught her the importance of praying she started asking more and more questions we set a date to call her back and committed her to pray on her own. Then we got an email saying she was sorry she didn't answer the phone she was in the hospital. We were really worried and prayed everything would be ok. Then we finally were able to talk to her and she said, " Jenna I listened to how you spoke about prayer and when I was really alone in the hospital I decided to pray. And I felt an overwhelming feeling of peace that came from another source it was amazing." I was almost brought to tears with the power of Gods love for her. That phone call changed her life and she went and got a Book of Mormon herself before we even asked her too. She says she wants to know and to receive an answer. Today when we talked to her we committed her to go to CHURCH!! And she said she would really like to try it. Words cant express how I feel about this because it literally went from night to day in a week. What a blessing.

The Flowers
This family came up to the west gate asking us questions and I started talking to them while Sister Abeyta was helping another man. They asked me where i was from and everything and when I said Orange County they were so confused. They are from LA and they said it was refreshing to see such a fresh looking face from their part of the country. I testified about how the church helped me find individual worth ( they had a teenage daughter) and helped me look to real role models not celebrities. I bore my testimony actually about my Mother and the things she taught me. And my sister as well and what an example she is to me. They were blown away by the family unit in the church and wanted to learn more. They said thank you so much for your time we look forward to talking to you soon. I was so grateful for the young womens program I was able to be apart of and good women role models. And helped me understand how important the inside really is.

One sentence can change a heart......
We met this women Mary-Ann and she was here on a conference for some art show she was doing. We just started talking and she was curious about a couple of things including the temple. I testified to her that its a house of the Lord where heaven and earth meet. I felt a strong impression to share about The Book of Mormon and so I started speaking about it . At this time Sister Abeyta was helping this man at her window which was actually the bus driver to a huge tour group. I started testifying how its blessed my life and then I bore my testimony of when Christ came to the Americas. The man at Sister Abeytas window said what did you just say hunny?... I continuted on in the most simple yet profound testimony I've ever given. He said I need one of those books I want to learn more, and so sure enough we will be teaching him as well. Mary-Ann came back 3 days later requesting a tour from me cause she felt something. She wanted to hear me sing as well and begged me to sing ha. What was the most amazing part was how the words just worked if that makes any sense. As we took the tour the bridges just flowed like water. She refereed so did her devout catholic friend as well. He stopped Sister Abeyta and I mid sentence and said your eyes are so clear I can feel something when I look in them. Tender moments

West Gate Crazyness...
on Wednesdays aka our long days.... from 12-9 we had over 400 people come and I think by the end of that day I passed out and really could barely remember what happened ha that happens most nights, but I'm loving it going to the extra mile in West Gate. We are there almost every morning at 7:45. Its a sacrifice but its worth it with all the miracles we see, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

How Timely
I spoke with Colleen this week, the one that refereed for The Book of Mormon back at home. Well she said you know maybe I will just be born again I feel good in that right and I said you Colleen you felt something when you read verses from the Book of Mormon didn't you? She said oh yes I did hmmm well we will see. I knew at that moment this conversation would be a make or break it and I will never deny the power of the scriptures. So I turned to a verse and felt I needed to read that very one. Alma 5:14 as i read it I could feel the power behind the words. She said my goodness that was so Timely, I want that book thank you so much I know that all you have said is was through Divine intervention.


Old People say the Darndest Things!
Talking to this old guy and I was telling him about what temple square is and the pioneers and everything and he was so excited to be here. As I was actually telling him a pioneer story mid sentence he says......... "Sister Mettra, your blue eyes are turning me to mush" HAHA I died laughing ha.


Indie from Down Under
Met this guy Tom that was completely atheist and didn't believe in God even a little bit. He said that when we die that's it and God wasn't needed. I really wanted to help him understand what this could mean to him. And all of the sudden he says, why are you here? I started to bare my testimony on why I came on a mission. He was traveling to Orange County actually and was very interesting. He was like your not going to convert me, and I said I'm not trying to ha that is the weirdest thing you've ever said ha. Then I told him its not me that converts its the spirit, and then he started to give me a hard time ha. At the end he said, well I guess I'm going to have to read that Book. Who are you anyways ha no one makes me do things, and I go ha Tom again wasn't me it was the spirit :)


A Precious Gift
I received a RC potential a couple of days ago and was warned that he wasn't supper comfortable about me calling. I took a deep breath said a prayer and dialed the number. Let me back track for a moment though to help you realize how precious and inspired this moment truly was. Sister Abeyta and I had a tour planned with some Elders and their investigators and were waiting for about 30 min for them. Finally we called and asked if they were coming and they said oops we meant to call our plans fell through. At first I was annoyed because we were so excited to take this tour and had planned a lot for it. But then had a strong feeling it was better this way. My annoyance wore off very quickly and we walked back to the RC. I was flipping through my cards and saw Jeffery's name and it was if my fingers had a mind of their own. I started to dial his number after saying a quick prayer in my heart I would know what to say and be able to be myself. As he picked up I was like "HELLO Jeffery!" And he goes who is this? Its Jenna! Ha he started to laugh and say oh so your Jenna the one they have all been talking to. ( PS I've been calling a lot of people in the army in his unit cause this member Joseph has given me a lot.) So I said yes it is and aren't you excited to talk to me ha. Sarcastically he replied yep been waiting by my phone! Well I just started making small talk and saying my dumb jokes that well don't make sense and he started opening up. He is a computer guy and kinda witty. I made him guess what I was studying in school and he decided he would try to find it on Google. We started on a good foot and he started to speak a little more and I felt pretty comfortable talking to this stranger. As I continued on I asked him if through all of his studies of the universe if he believed in a God? He said no no I don't I believe that we were created from a nebula. I said where do you find your purpose Jeffery? And he said in being happy. And I said and what do you love in life what means a lot to you? And he answered that relationships make him happy, people do. But I felt there was something behind those words and in fact there was a lot. He doesn't really have any friends at all so that's why he treasures them when he does have some. I asked him if the things he did to make himself happy ever lasted more then a moment? " No I guess I never thought of it that way" I told him through reading The Book of Mormon its brought me the answers to life questions." Jefferey would you like to learn more about the questions to life?" He accepted missionaries and a Book of Mormon. I was completely shocked and in awe of the timing in this moment. At the end he said Jenna, I'm really happy that you called you are so nice and no one is ever this nice to me. You seem so happy and genuine in everything you say. I said you know Jeffery I haven't had a perfect life and I've had trials that I'd wish upon no one, but one thing got me through everything and that was a loving Father in Heaven that knows me, and knows each of us.


PART 2
He asked me to call him again so I decided to call him that next night. He told me he was actually looking forward to this conversation. We started off with a good laugh as usual and I was laughing so hard I started to honk ( for those of you who know me, that's when I'm laughing really hard ha.) Well I said so Jeffery did you have any questions or thoughts after we talked last night? And he said you know I thought a lot about what you said, especially the part about fleeting happiness. And I realized Jenna everything in my life is exactly that, I don't have a lot of friends and spend a lot of my time in my room after training and everything. " Jeffery whats missing in your life?" He said you know really I don't know what I want or whats missing but I do feel empty. I opened up and told him a personal story from my life when I really knew God was there. He said Jenna do you want me to tell you what my life has been like? He began to tell me the hardships he had been through and in that moment I could feel how he was feeling. It was if my body went back to that moment just to feel a greater sense of empathy. This young man is completely and utterly alone, and truly doesn't have one to call his friend. The difference between my empathy was even in my situation I knew there was a God and he knew nothing of him. My heart just broke and I began to feel very humbled to speak with his young man that had lost so much and now was giving his all to serve his country. A pause of humility brushed my ears as he said, Jenna do you really think this will make me happy? Because I think that this is something i could do. Within 24 hours Jeffery's heart was turned to find God. I felt very impressed I needed to kneel in prayer with Jeffery and so I did. I said, " Jeffery I strongly feel I need to say a prayer before I let you go, would that be OK?" He replied I would really like that actually. But before you leave Jenna can I ask you a question? And I said yes of coarse Jeffery. Then words I never thought I would hear came out of his mouth, Jenna when I learn these things for myself and everything like after the army I don't know where my life will take me or what I want to do, but one day will you teach me how to be a missionary? " I would be honored" To think that this was the same young man I spoke with just hours before was a miracle in itself. I knelt in prayer and again was overwhelmed with a feeling of love for Jeffery. But not my own, Christ's perfect love tears came to my eyes as I pleaded with God to help this young man feel and understand who he is in Gods eyes. Words weren't really spoken after that I could only thank my Father in Heaven for giving me that moment which I will be eternally grateful for. Jeffery is going to church tomorrow and starting to pray on his own.


I couldn't leave from this computer without sharing that last story which encompasses how much this message can change some one's life. I feel so humbled to be given these moments and pray I'm doing everything I can to bring peace and comfort the way God would have me do so. I love this work and know that it truly is everlasting happiness. I received more joy in that last story then any moment singing which says it all.


I love you all so much. Keep trusting. Keep loving. And never give up.


Love Sister Mettra

No comments:

Post a Comment