Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The empty tomb

Happy Easter Everyone!
What a beautiful morning I had yesterday reflecting on truly what the Savior did for all of us. The night before I read the easter story from start to finish and was overwhelmed with gratitude for my Savior. I thought about myself there with the Savior and what I would do. To truly understand who Jesus Christ is, we have to sacrifice the pride in our hearts for the things we want instead of the things he does. Easter Morning meant so much to me as I walked to church and saw the sunrise behind the temple, I knew I wasnt walking alone. Because he is Risen! Jesus Christ overcame death so that we would be able together forever and return to him one day. One of my favorite passages of scripture is in Matthew the account of the Savior in the Garden... Think of it.
And he went a little further, and fell on his face and prayed saying, " O my father if it be possible let this cup pass from me ;NEVERTHELESS not as i will but as thou wilt.
What always stands out to me in that verse is as soon as he asks for relief he also understands how important the Father's will is. He didn't hesitate for a couple verses and think about all he was going through, he trusted his father and I wonder sometimes do we? Because my companion was sick I spent many hours home this week and took that time to really... well pontificate as my dad would say ha with myself. I read more into faith and trusting God. In Matthew 9:20-22 ... " If I may but touch his garment, I shall be whole." " Be of good comfort; thy faith has made thee whole" The faith of this women is an example to all of us, what one step of faith can do. I just thought, wow if i had that faith when I prayed so many miracles would happen, or when bad things happen just having faith all would be well because you are holding up your end of the promise. I appreciate my Savior so much more since I've been on my mission, words can express my love for him. I know that Jesus is the Christ the son of the Living God and that he truly is the Savior of the World. I have gained a testimony of how important prayer truly is. As I've kneeled down to cry unto God I know he really hears us and he loves us so much. I love you all and thank you for your prayers on my behalf. Reflect this week on really who the Savior is to you :)
I feel ashamed...
I had the privillage again teaching with Sister Gunter! We taught Nolan about how much God loved him. When he answered the phone he seemed VERY depressed and sad, we asked him why he was so upset and i guess life just took the best of him. He had lost all hope, and then we called. He said he didn't pray but God knew his thoughts cause he was looking for help that day. We tesified to him of how this gospel will change his life forever. He started to cry as we asked him about what he thought of himself. We could tell that he had very low self esteem and that he was in a dark hole stuck for a very long time. I'll never forget the tone of his voice quivering and saying I don't think I'm important really. My heart just went out to him for the many times in my life I felt the same way. Sister gunter helped him recieve comfort through some scriptures, and the spirit whispered to me, he needs to draw near to me. I knew exactly what that meant, I told Nolan to listen to the words of the song and understand God is always there. I know kinda strange singing on the phone to a stranger, but its normal for me now ha. Tears filled my eyes as i sang the hymn so reverantly and thoughtfully. He paused and just said... I stopped crying. I nthat moment I could feel the love the Lord had for this lost soul because, I was feeling the same way.
Ya I know you mormons..
I talked to Tommy this week and he actually grew up in Utah so knows quite a bit about the church ha. He lives in tampa ( yay z) and now is going to college not really worring about religion and everything. As I was trying to figure out what he really needed at this time but it wasn't coming right away. We started talking about prayer and if he prayed he said ehh sure ha. Well the conversation went on and I opened the book of mormon imediately I felt a power in my voice I didn't have a second earlier. I read him Moronis promise and all he said after was ... Wow I've never heard anything like that before. Sometimes I doubt the scriptures and then i have a moment like that and remember NEVER DO THAT AGAIN sister Mettra you crazy ha. I'm excited to talk to Tommy again and share more he can find out for himeself!
Elder Porter
So we had mission conference with Elder Porter of the 70 it was amazing! I was wondering if anyone would ever come to our mission!! Here are some highlights I learned..
1. Your mission, Sisters takes great faith because you never seen the end result, the brotheren thank you for your faith.
2. Always study the scriptures, that's where you will find the power you need.
3. Personal prayers is how you draw nearer to God ( this was after the expierence with nolan so wow i just realized the spirit said the same thing to Elder Porter! )
4. All the strength we need comes from prayer
5. You are the face of the church so SMILE :)
Crazy children
So we were walking outside ha and there were like thousands of little mexican kids aka I love them haha .... Well there was this young guy with them and i smiled and he goes excuse me... " I've never seen someone as beautiful as you before. Really wow your very pretty. Your eyes sparkel when you smile..." Uhhhh hahaha I didn't really know what to say other then smile and thank him haha... Come to find out he was a guest and I told him about the light of christ and the spirit... we gave him our number so he could learn more about the light in my smile. Semi awk haha but I tried to bridge to the gospel ha
Love you all Have a wonderful week!!
Sister Mettra

No comments:

Post a Comment